Independence Temple lot, the Hedrikite (white building) and the Community of Christ Temple
The Church of Christ (also known as the Hedrickites), a break off group from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, are the current owners of the temple lot in Jackson County, Missouri where the temple of the New Jerusalem is to be constructed. For those who have visited Independence, Missouri, know that on the northeast corner of the temple lot is a white chapel belonging to the Church of Christ. They are more than happy to have you come in (free of charge) and view the original cornerstones that were laid on this site on August 3, 1831 by Joseph Smith and other Church leaders. On August 6, 1891 the RLDS Church (Community of Christ) sued the Church of Christ for ownership of the temple lot. In January 1896 the U.S. Court of Appeals ruled in favor of the Church of Christ.
Interestingly, the Church of Christ approached the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to help offset their legal cost due to the litigation, and then about four years after the lawsuit, approached the LDS Church again for what?
a. The original survey of the temple lot
b. The original land title to the temple lot
c. Money to help them build and finance the temple
d. An invitation to the all Church basketball tournament
Church News, Feb. 25, 2012, 11