Friday, January 31, 2014

An Uneasy Feeling

Image result for book of mormon printing
Grandin Print shop
During one point of the Book of Mormon printing process, Hyrum Smith felt very uneasy, why?

a.      The possibility that someone was meddling with the Book of Mormon at the printers

b.      That he hadn’t received the Priesthood yet

c.       That he hadn’t served a mission yet

d.      That it was time to leave his old religion

Yesterday’s answer:

C.   On the Mormon Trail

The following about Sarah Ellen Stone Wheeler and her family: On this day they had crossed several such patches of prickly pears, and the little girls could go no farther. Father Stone would have placed Sarah on the cart had there been any room, but he told her to sit under a sagebrush until he carried Rhoda across the bad patch, then he would come back and carry her across. Being an obedient child and being too tired and footsore, she crept under a sagebrush and went sound asleep.

   A band of Indians found Sarah and took her with them to their camp. The prickly pear patch was far larger than Father Stone had expected. When he went back to get Sarah, he could find only the prints of Indian horses’ hoofs, so he knew his little girl had been stolen. He hurried back to the company and reported it to the captain, who advised them to make their way to Salt Lake City as quickly as possible. There they would obtain help and come back and find her. They did this and arrived in Salt Lake in September. Brigham Young provided two of the fastest horses for Father Stone and called William Sheafer, Jr., to accompany him back to find little Sarah.

   It was a late September night, the wind was blowing, the leaves were fluttering to the ground making strange noises. Little Sarah lay in her wigwam in her blankets, but she did not sleep. Suddenly she turned her head; it seemed that someone was looking at her. She curiously raised the flap of the wigwam and gazed out at the night and looked straight at her father’s face. She was very quiet and looked all around her to make sure the Indians were all asleep. She then wrapped the blanket around her and crept very quietly under the wigwam. The next thing she knew she was in her father’s arms. He placed her on his horse and away they went as fast as the horses could travel. For miles and miles they went until they were sure that they were not being followed.

   They traveled as fast as they could in order to reach Salt Lake City before winter set in. At Emigration Canyon they were caught in a blizzard. It was a miracle they were not frozen to death. Sarah was placed near the gentlest horse for its warmth to keep her from freezing. Father Stone froze his feet and legs and suffered grave effects in later years from this experience. William Sheafer’s hair was frozen to the ground during the night. He lost all his hair from it and was entirely bald the rest of his days. With all the exposure and hardships, Sarah never had any sickness.

   Sarah was surely a happy child to be with her mother and brothers and sisters again. Father and Mother Stone were filled with joy at the safe return of their little girl.

   In after years Sarah never tired of telling her children and grandchildren how God had guided her to see her father’s face that night and her joy at finding and being with her folks again. It was an experience never to be forgotten. We, as a family, still have the beads that the Indians trimmed her dress with and treasure them as a keepsake in memory of Grandmother Sarah’s experience.

Chronicles of Courage, Daughters of Utah Pioneers (Salt Lake City: Lesson Committee, 1993), V4:74-75.

No comments:

Post a Comment