Saturday, May 31, 2014

Jedediah M. Grant and Turning the Tables

Jedediah M. Grant

Heavenly Father gives all who are his children talents. Some may think they don’t have any, but to that person I would say, playing a musical instrument is not the only talent out there. Sometimes we are required to discover our talents by trial and error. The fact that I have five published books was a complete surprise to those who know me, and an even greater shock to myself (you have to understand my grades in school). Jedediah Grant, before he was Brigham Young’s 2nd Counsellor, was one of the Seven Presidents of the Seventy, labored on both the Kirtland and Nauvoo Temple’s, a member of Zion’s Camp, and a missionary. While serving in the Southern States Mission he developed a great talent that he became renowned for. What was his talent?

a.      Great sermons at a moment’s notice

b.      Spiritual prayers

c.       Healed numerous people

d.      Powerful blessings

Yesterday’s answer:

(C)   18 months

Bernard Snow as born January 22, 1822, at Pomfret, Vermont. He went to college in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and lived there after he and Louisa M. King were married on November 24, 1841. They had three children, Sidney, Flora Melisa, and Bernard Snow Jr. Flora and Bernard died as infants. In 1849 Bernard went on a sailing vessel around the Horn, then up to the gold fields of California, where he hoped to strike it rich. His wife and son stayed behind.

   Because Louisa’s sister and her husband had moved to Salt Lake City, she decided to sell their belongings and join a wagon train for Utah. Louisa was a frail woman and died on the way and was buried in an unmarked grave on the plains. Her son Sidney was taken to live with her sister in Salt Lake City who wrote to Bernard telling him what has happened to his family. The only address she could find was the “gold fields of California.” Her letter went by team, then by rail to the East Coast and then by ship to California, and finally by man on horseback from gold camp to gold camp until he received it. It had taken one and one-half years to be delivered from the time it was mailed, and he had to pay the express rider his cost to deliver it.

Lesson Committee, Museum Memories (Salt Lake City: Talon Printing, 2009), 74-75.

No comments:

Post a Comment