Monday, March 16, 2015

Nauvoo’s First Dramatic Company

Who set up a dramatic company in Nauvoo?
A)                 Vilate Kimball
B)                 Lucy Mack Smith
C)                 Joseph Smith
D)                 Bathsheba Smith

Yesterday’s answer:
d.   A domestic dispute between his friend and his friend’s wife
The following from the Autobiography of Charles Lamb sharing his
 Conversion while living in England.
   At this time I was much persecuted for my religious views, as I did not believe in any of the sects and creeds, they not being in accordance with the scriptures as I understood them. I fasted and prayed for the gifts and blessings and the faith once delivered to the Saints, even went so far as to agree with a companion that we would baptize each other. I desired to know what to do and was so impressed to go East that I exclaimed, I will Lord. When I told mother, she cried and felt bad, but I started. The first day I walked about 25 miles. The next day I got to Grinsborough.
   There was a new church incourse of erection. There was an old mate of mine there who made a great fuss when he saw me as did some others. The foreman wanted to know who I was. When Luke Harvey told him I was the best workman in England, they wanted me to stay, but I told them I would think about it. In the course of the evening I was told that Mr. Baker of Sleaford was just commencing a new hall for Squire Peacock at North Rosby, and that settled me. I told those with me that was where I was going. I got there in the evening and the next morning I went to the Hall there and met Mr. Baker’s son. I told him I was come to work if they wanted me. He thought I was joking but when he found I was earnest, wished me to take hold. I had no tools but the men proposed to furnish me all I wanted, so I commenced. I was soon placed in charge. I wrote home for tools which was sent. There I received a letter from William Watson Stone Cutter and Carver who worked with me at Lord Howden’s, stating that the Lord had again restored the Gospel and that he had been baptized.
   I had a vision that prepared me for this, but the joy I was full of thanksgiving. I wrote immediately to know where to go to find some had been so blessed. An answer came stating there had been a branch organized at Louth, Lincolnshire about three weeks. This was about forty miles from where I then was. I soon up and went there. It being Saturday the market day, I being a stranger did not know where to go. I met a man selling milk and asked if he knew such a people as Latter Day Saints or Mormons. He looked at me a strange look exclaiming, why they pretend to raise the dead and work miracles. If you belong to that class I will have nothing to do with you. The next was a respectable looking man, a butcher, which proved to be a Methodist Preacher. We had quite a discussion in the market place. I had the best of it and he said I was far too learned for him, but wished me to dine with him. The next day, Sunday, directing me to a temperance house where I would find some of those I was seeking.
   B. Atkins, now living in Tooele, well remembers my visit to Louth. There was about eight members at that time, but no Elder, but I enjoyed that meeting. I wished them to send the first Elder that came and I would get a chapel to speak in and provide for his wants. Brother Henry Ceuerdon came and this was about the 1st of July 1843. I was pleased to see him and as I was alone asked would he share my bed or would be choose to be by himself. He preferred to stay with me. When we retired I waited for him to make a move, he waiting for me; so we said our prayers to ourselves. In the morning I told him if he would come down at 7 o’clock I would wish to be baptized. We was at the time making seven days per week. He came and says he, I have not preached to you yet. I told him if he had got the authority, I wished to be baptized. After some talk and prayer, he baptized me. Before leaving me he said he could not leave me until he had ordained me a priest. I felt well.
   I was talking to the game keeper when he told me he believed in the principals. I remember us two going to the woods to pray. A few days after this an occurrence took place I must relate. I had got the "Voice of Warning" for the game keeper to read. While reading it one evening his wife, a stout, well built woman with red hair accosted him, thus Tom, he told her to be quiet and not bother him. She retaliated saying, if that Latter-day devil was here they would have plenty to say. He told her to let me alone and angry words was exchanged, when he was not suspecting, she knocked him over chair and all. At that he jumped up, struck her betwixt the eyes, bruising her and blackening both eyes. At this she cried out murder. When the neighbors rushed to her assistance, I had just gone to bed. A meeting was held when it was agreed to drum me out of the village with kettles and pans.
   Next morning at eight o’clock I sent word for someone to ring the bell for me, for them to commence work and I would be there at quarter time nine o’clock. So according to appointment they, the women, began to muster. When a number had collected, I went to them, asked what I had to do with the affair. The woman said nothing. She alone was to blame. She knocked Tom over and it made him mad and he blacked her eyes for her, but he had served her right. This set me free, but when walking up or down the street I was pointed out as the man who caused them to fight. This thought came into my mind and seemed to rest there. If they persecute thee in one city, flee unto another, so I resolved to go to America, to Nauvoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment