Eliza R. Snow
a. The Mormon galaxy
b. The Mormon fiasco
c. The Mormon charade
d. The Mormon clusterYesterday’s answer:
(B) One school was spiritual knowledge and the other secular
The School of the Prophets opened in January of 1833 but was disrupted in April. When it reopened in the fall of 1834 it had been divided into the Elder’s School for theological training and the Kirtland School for temporal education. “Lectures on Faith,” a series of lessons subsequently published with the Doctrine and Covenants between 1835 and 1921, was a basic text for missionaries. Burdick’s Arithmetic, Kirkham’s Grammar, and Olney’s Geography guided nearly one hundred students in the secular division, where they were also tutored in the rudiments of penmanship by William E. McLellin. Both schools met during the winter of 1835-36 with increased enrollment and with new evening grammar classes. Beginning in late November the school sponsored a seven-week Hebrew class taught by Joshua Seixas of Hudson, Ohio. The classwork for both schools moved into the temple in January 1835 and a second term of Hebrew commenced. In November 1837 the Kirtland High School assumed the general education curriculum pioneered by the Kirtland School.
James B. Allen and Glen M. Leonard, The Story of the Latter-day Saints (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Company, 1992), 107.