Friday, October 7, 2016

The First Jewish Convert

When was the first Jewish convert baptized in this dispensation?
a.                  1891
b.                  1903
c.                   1849
d.                  1838
Yesterday’s answer:
a.                  Heal the sick
The following article appeared in the Latter-day Saints Millennial Star, January 30, 1896:   As near as I can remember, it was in the month of June 1879 that I was engaged in building a rock cellar for Vernee Halliday of Provo City. About noon, after finishing the walls as high as I could from the inside, before drawing my lines off to go outside, I looked along the wall to see if every rock was in keeping with the line, when I saw a small corner of rock a little out of place. With my hammer I tapped it lightly to bring it into its proper position, keeping my eye along the line to see when it came to its place. While doing this, I felt as if something had touched my eye, but nothing to cause me any uneasiness. At the time I did not think more of the affair.
I worked all the afternoon and the next forenoon but felt my eye beginning to get very hot, and water came therefrom. In the afternoon my eye became worse and was inflamed to such an extent that I could not see; my head also became so affected that about four o’clock I was obliged to cease work and go home. Arriving there, my wife, seeing my eye in such an inflamed condition, got me into a dark room, and from that time till very early the next morning she used about two packets of tea in making strong lotions to bathe my eye to keep down the inflammation. At four o’clock in the morning I got a handkerchief on my eye and went away to arouse Dr. W. R. Pike. When I arrived at his house, he was attending a man from Payson. This done, he asked what he could do for me. I told him of the inflammation of my eye and the pain in my head and said I wanted him to examine and see what was the matter with it or to tell the cause of my suffering. After examining my eye he said there was one-third of the lens of my eye entirely destroyed. The center of the lens was gone and only a little on each edge remained. He said that it had been struck with something rough like a rock and that I would never see again with that eye. He described the transparency of the eye, and he assured me that it could not by nature be restored. He said that it was likely to take away the use of my other eye at any time, and that a white opaque substance would grow over my eye so that I could never see anymore.
After leaving his office, I met on the street a Mr. Harrison, who had formerly lived in Salt Lake City. He told me of Doctor Pratt, who had just returned to Salt Lake from the East where she had been studying the eye, and had done a great deal of good. I therefore went the same day to see her, but had then to be led by my wife. When we arrived in Salt Lake it was too late for her to do anything with my eye that day, and she told us to come back the following morning at ten o’clock. We did so, and after hearing my story, she examined my injured member by the aid of many glasses and told me the same as Dr. Pike had done. She allowed my wife to look through the glass at my eye, and she described its appearance as that of a wound from which a dog had bitten a piece. Dr. Pratt then took me by the front hair and, pushing my head back, was about to take my eye out. I inquired what she was about to do, and she answered me that she was going to take it out and put in a glass one.
My wife seized her arm, and I scrambled out of the chair saying, “No, you don’t or you will shoot me first.”
I then asked if she could give me some lotion to check the pain. She took a small vial and put one drop of its contents in my eye, which immediately took away all the pain. She then gave me a prescription which I had filled and then we went home.
Just as both doctors had said, the opaque matter gradually grew on my eye for 3 or 4 weeks, at the end of which time I could not distinguish my own wife, standing so that her dress touched my clothes, unless she spoke. Up to this time I had not been able to work, and I was getting dissatisfied.
About that time the quarterly conference took place in Provo. On the Sunday morning I found my way to conference, still with the napkin on my eye. There were present of the general authorities, President George Q. Cannon and Joseph F. Smith and Apostle John Henry Smith. During the morning meeting I made up my mind to have them administer to me for my sight, and at the close of the service I went to the vestry where they were attending to this ordinance for many who were there before me. When I entered, Brothers Joseph F. and John Henry Smith came and shook hands with me, inquiring what was the matter, and what I wanted them to do. They introduced me to Brother George Q. Cannon, whom I had never know before. I knew the Brothers Smith in the old county. I was told to take a seat, and when they had attended to the rest they would administer to me, and that I would get my sight. After they finished with the others, they came to me. I cannot now call to mind who anointed or who confirmed it, but this I do know that from that very hour the white, opaque matter that had gradually grown over my eye gradually began to disappear until my eyesight was completely restored and has remained to this date as perfect as it ever has been. To this fact myself and family can testify was well as others living in Provo.

Chronicles of Courage, Lesson Committee (Salt Lake City: Talon Printing, 1997), 8: 19-21.

No comments:

Post a Comment