Plat of the City of Zion
What was the temple in the City of Zion supposed to be named?
a. The City of Zion Temple
b. Jackson County, Missouri Temple
c. The House of the Lord for the Presidency of the High and Most Holy Priesthood, after the Order of Melchizedek
d. Independence, Missouri Temple
(A) 29,000 acres
Cardston, Alberta: Because the church leaders, while in Ottawa, did not gain their desired concessions about purchasing land in large blocks, they began to look to local sources for obtaining extra land. Much land was available from the Northwest Coal and Navigation Company, the land agency of the Galt interest, but it required money and the settlers didn’t have it. After discussing land matters with the First Presidency of the church in Salt Lake City, the church leaders decided to aid the Alberta saints. Accordingly, the church appropriated $1000 to aid the Lee’s Creek colony in the purchase of land for a hamlet. In addition to this aid, the church appropriated funds to buy 18,400 acres of land east of the St. Mary’s River near Cardston and to lease another 9,840 acres. This property was to be used as a church ranch and when needed it could be subdivided into farms for settlers. Many of the General Authorities said they desired their sons to settle in Canada, and some of them took option on portions of the church ranch on behalf of their sons. The ranch was stocked soon thereafter with 555 head of cattle, many of them pure-bred and C.O. Card supervise the project until 1891, when Richard Pilling leased it from the church.
A History of the Mormon Church in Canada (Lethbridge, Alberta: The Lethbridge Herald Co., 1968), 54.