Friday, November 10, 2017

Although a Bishop, he Didn’t Have What?

Orson F. Whitney was called to be a bishop at the age of 23. By today's standards, what did he lack to perform this calling?
a.                  His temple recommend
b.                  A wife
c.                   An office
d.                  Charity
Yesterday’s answer:
(C)   Attending LDS meetings
From the life of Robert Aveson:   In the summer of 1862 he made preparation to join a Baptist church, but receiving a testimony that “Mormonism” was true, he became very desirous to be baptized. To this his parents objected and the ordinance was deferred. For three years and a half he attended Latter-day Saints meetings, whenever opportunity offered, unawares to his parents. During that time, by dint of hard savings, he manage to procure money to pay his passage to the frontier. From 1862 until the spring of 1866 he gradually grew tired of the opposition manifested toward him by his parents; hence, although a bound apprentice, he resolved to leave home for Utah in May, 1866; he was, therefore, baptized March 25th of that year, previous to his departure for Zion. In company with his companion, Richard Sedgwick (an apprentice to a picture-frame maker), he started for London by land and water, arriving there on the 20th. Next day they went to the ship “American Congress,” which was chartered to sail in the 23rd of that month On the morning of the 24th, just before the boat set sail, they were much surprised on being confronted, while on deck, by a London detective and Mr. Thomas Carter (Richard Sedgwick’s employer). On the charge of absconding from their apprenticeship they were arrested. Hundreds of the passengers gathered around, and one of the most sorrowful scenes in their lives was witnessed, while they bid sad adieu to their many friends. The boys were then taken to the Thames police office. For the first time in their lives they slept in a cell. Next morning they were handcuffed and taken to Middleborough, where they spent another night in a cell. The following day they were tried and discharged; the decision of the court being that the expenses connected with their capture should be deducted from their wages. On the 17th of the following month (June), the two boys made their second attempt to leave their homes. As they were about to embark on a steamer, they were intercepted by Brother Aveson’s mother. The next day (June 18th) Robert Aveson made his third attempt to leave home; he went to Glasgow, Scotland, from there to Liverpool, England, and thence to New York; here he met Elder T. B. H. Stenhouse, who engaged him to work in his printing office in Salt Lake City. He crossed the plains in Joseph S. Rawlin’s ox-train, arriving in Salt Lake City, Sept. 30, 1866. In 1879 he received the glad tidings that his parents had joined the Church and in 1880 he emigrated them to Zion.

Andrew Jenson, L.D.S Biographical Encyclopedia (Salt Lake City: Publishers Press, 1901) Vol. 1, 679-680.

No comments:

Post a Comment