Why did Addison Pratt return home from his first 5 ½ year mission in 1846?
a. He was called home by the prophet
b. He felt 5 ½ years was long enough and came home himself
c. Because he hadn’t heard from his family and was worried
d. To prepare for his next mission
D Yes, believe it or not, the Beehives
In 1916 every female over fourteen was a Beehive girl until she entered Relief Society. There were no Mia Maids, or Laurels. The following are twenty out of the three-hundred seventy-three requirements possible for a Beehive girl to earn her individual award:
1. Care successfully for a hive of bees for one season, and know their habits.
2. Give the distinguishing characteristics of 6 varieties of hen and cattle and tell the good and weak points of each.
3. Exterminate the mosquitos over an area of ½ mile square by pouring a little kerosene on the surface of all standing pools of water twice each month during April, May, or June. Six girls may do this and each receive an award, or one girl can receive six awards.
4. Make two articles of underwear by hand.
5. Cover 25 miles on snowshoes in any six days.
6. Lean to float in Great Salt Lake and propel yourself 50 feet.
7. During three consecutive months, abstain from candy, ice cream, commercially manufactured beverages and chewing gum.
8. For one month, masticate (chew) your food so thoroughly that it slips down without any visible effort at swallowing it.
9. Successfully put a new washer on a faucet.
10. Care for at least two kerosene lamps daily.
11. For three months, take care of milk and cream from at least one cow and see that the pails, pans, strainer, and separator are thoroughly cleansed.
12. During two weeks, keep the house free from flies or destroy at least 25 files daily.
13. Have you toilet moved to an isolated place in the garden. Have a frame of chicken wire built about three feet away and plant quick-growing vines such as cucumber of morning glories to screen it from observation.
14. Whitewash your toilet inside and out.
15. Know and describe three cries of a baby.
16. Without help or advice, care for and harness a team at least five times; driving fifty miles during one season.
17. During 2 summer months, clean ice chest thouroughly twice a week.
18. Discover ten reasons why the Columbine should be made the national flower.
19. Clear sagebrush, etc. off of one-half acre of land.
20. Know 6 blazes used by Indians.
A Time to Laugh, A Briggs Family Collection (Salt Lake City: 1987), 262.