Friday, September 13, 2019

Full to Overflowing

See the source image

While in New Orleans, Latter-day Saint, Jean Rio Griffiths Baker, stated that the 3000 seat concert hall on Market Street was full to overflowing with what?
a.                  Slave traders and buyers
b.                  Union organizers
c.                   Jazz enthusiast
d.                  Latter-day Saints
Yesterday’s answer:
D   Leaving her family
From the life of Mary Ann Weston Maughan: The Company sent an agent to Bristol to charter a vessel. He found a good sailing ship that was going to Quebec for lumber and the captain would have berths put up in her for our accommodation. This was the best he could do, and it proved a success in the end. My nice furniture was made by my husband before our marriage. I have a knife box now that he made. It belonged to a long dresser with three shelves. These were filled with beautiful sets of dinner dishes of all kinds. Many of these I brought with me and some were sold, with my furniture. Carpenters and coopers tools and other things were sold at auction with Mr. Hill’s goods, and I realized money enough from my sale to pay my passage and board to Nauvoo. This was a very trying time for me. Every day I had to take leave of some dear friend that I never expected to see again in this world. The company was to start on Monday morning the fourth of May. Thus in three weeks I had settled up our business and was ready to start with them.
The last and hardest trial was to take leave of my Father, Mother, Brothers, and Sisters. My dear good Mother was most brokenhearted to see me go but Father was more calm. I wondered at this for I was his favorite child. He asked me the name of the ship and when she would sail. I told him all particulars, thinking he would come and bring Mother, to see me at the last before we set sail. I took some books with me and in giving them to my Sisters said there are some books for you to read when I am far away and they never forgot those words. My two little sisters clung around my neck, saying we shall never see you again. I had not told them this for I knew the parting from them would be very hard. Little Jane wanted to come with me but this was impossible for she was only 8 years old. The next morning my youngest Brother, Charles, came to Turkey Hall to see me once more but we had gone and he was broken hearted.   
Oh the grief and sorrow of this time I can never forget, thus on the 4th of May 1841 I left all that was near and dear to me to travel some thousands of miles alone, and cast my lot with the people of God. We hired teams to take us to Gloucester and some of us started to walk a little way, when we came to the place where we would lose sight of Fathers house.  I sat down and I might have stayed there if some of the company had not came back for me. I was sick and quite overcome with the grief and sorrow I had passed through in the last three months.
Women’s Voices-An Untold History of The Latter-day Saints 1830-1900 (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Company, 1982), 40-42.

No comments:

Post a Comment